I wanted to make a dog bed for Gabi from an old sweater for a long time. I see photos and instructions all over the Internet. Today I decided would be the day. It was so easy! I used my sewing machine on almost all of the steps to make it faster but if you do not have a sewing machine you can hand stitch the bed together. To stuff the sleeves I used a bag of Fiber Poly Fill I had laying around the house. Instead of fiber, you can use fabric scraps or unwanted clothing to stuff the sleeves. While I was sewing the last step of the bed together Gabi jumped into it and was already making herself comfortable. Needless to say she LOVES her new handmade bed!
The supplies I used were: sweater, old pillow, Fiber Poly Fill, sewing needle, and thread.
1. Turn the sweater inside out and sew the collar closed.
2. Turn back to the right side and sew a straight line from armpit to armpit.
3. Stuff the arms all the way thru with the Poly Fill.
4. Stuff the middle area of the sweater with a pillow and sew the bottom closed.
5. Slide one arm inside the other and sew together.
6. Turn the bed over and hand stitch the arms to the middle area all the way around.
7. Turn over and let your dog enjoy their new comfy bed!